Permit Application and Renewals
Any person 21 years of age of older may apply to the Clerk of the Circuit Court in which he or she resides for a five (5) year permit to carry a concealed handgun.
For additional information about concealed carry, or to download a permit application, please visit the Virginia State Police Resident Concealed Handgun Page.
Applications for renewal should be submitted to the Clerk of the Circuit Court at least 90 days, but no more than 180 days, prior to the expiration of a current permit.
The following is required when applying:
- A completed permit application.
- A copy of one (1) valid form of photo identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth of Virginia, the U.S. Department of Defense, or the U.S. State Department.
- A copy of your in-person certificate of training with a handgun.
- A copy of all addresses for the last five years.
- Filing fee of $15 (cash or check) or $17 (credit card).
Requests for a Duplicate Permit
In some instances, a duplicate concealed handgun permit may be issued. The original concealed handgun permit must be valid and issued by the Orange County Circuit Court. Reasons may include: change of address ($10 fee), change of name ($5 fee), or to replace a lost, stolen, or destroyed permit ($5 fee).